What is the Prayer of Faith? Part 2
What is the Prayer of Faith?
A Scripture Study in Hebrews 11:1
February 28, 2020
Free Printable PDF
To read What is the Prayer of Faith, Part 1, click here.
I was looking at Hebrews 11:1 in a new Bible translation. It stated that faith is a way to acquire what we long for. This is not the conclusion from my study.
The New American Standard Bible (NASB) reads, “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” I looked at the key Greek words again in this verse and think the NASB translation is good. I would boil it down to this transliteration from the Greek words: Faith is a concrete foundation for those things we expect (hope for) that we cannot see. Based on the context of other passages in the New Testament, the following is true:
- The “things” we expect are those things we have already been promised by our Heavenly Father. That’s why we expect them.
- The only reason we “hope for” the promises with assurance is because He already told us to expect them, even though we cannot see them.
- Faith is the action required to realize His promises. We act based on His promises. Here are examples:
- He told me in His Word that I am His Beloved; so, I act and think like one who is greatly loved.
- He told me in His Word that He is coming back to receive me to Himself; so, by faith all my anticipation and work is for this moment.
- He told me in His Word that He hears my prayer; so, by faith I know He will answer in His timing and in His way.
- He confirmed to me through His Word, through many respected people, circumstances and giftings that I am to write a devotional; so, even though my sight is giving me problems and there seem to be many barriers, I labor by faith toward this goal.
Although God encourages us to pray for the things we want, faith is not something that gets us whatever we want. By faith we act on His promises and the voice of the Holy Spirit Who never contradicts His Word. We must pray for discernment, check our motives, and give our wills to Him.
God’s purpose is for our joy that comes from walking in His footsteps – “…those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son…” Romans 8:29a
See the entire Spring rains Art Card.
Flower Girl Greetings, magnifying the beauty of God's Word! ©2020, All Rights Reserved.
Shale Fragments™ - devotionals by Beth Ann Phifer is a division of Flower Girl Greetings, LLC. ©2020, All Rights Reserved.
Welcome to Shale Fragments, a collection of writings and art for individual and group use!
Teaching God’s truth and the beauty of His Word is my greatest delight! My art card company, Flower Girl Greetings, was launched in 2012 with this purpose. In April 2020, ShaleFragments.com became the gathering place for the writings.
As I have studied the rich meanings of the original Greek and Hebrew languages of the Bible, I continue to see beautiful progressions and connections that compel me to organize and convey their life-changing beauty!
Please click on each category to access a list of contents or scroll through the posts. To receive Shale Fragments updates, please subscribe here.